Supporting Ben on his LE-JoG challenge and exploring the English & Scottish countryside along the way

Sunday 2 May 2010

Lucky Kendal Mint

The journey today was punctuated with lots of happy memories from our road trip to Oban in May 2009. I could have done with two companions in the back though! I set off on the motorway and, passing the signs for Lancaster University, was reminded of our polystyrene breakfast on campus last year. It was a good breakfast, we were just amazed that scrambled eggs on toast could be done as a ‘take away’. Last year we took the M6 through the Lake District and although it was certainly scenic (and reminiscent of Mordor), this time I decided to follow Ben’s route and get to see a bit more of the area.
Around Shap Peak


I just love the ancient look of the fields and the dry stone walls undulating for miles. I drove through Kendal and, in a spot of excellent timing, was accosted by Ben in the town centre. Then I took the A6 towards Shap and just kept climbing and climbing through awe-inspiring views. Rather than skimming the edges like you do on the motorway, it felt like I was completely enveloped by the scenery. I pulled in near the summit (1396ft) and waited for Ben. Lots of cyclists seemed to be on the road today and I had a false alarm when I saw one approaching and started taking photos….only for it to be a man in his 40s and not Ben, whoops!

Now I am sat in a Moto services near Carlisle catching up on internet stuff for as long as my battery allows. The Scottish border is approaching and I actually have butterflies in my tummy! I LOVE Scotland and am really excited about the rest of our journey north. I will also be consuming Irn Bru at every opportunity.

Wee Bru & Jake, thinking of you both lots!!

Query of the day: Kendal Mint Cake was very nice, but can it really be called cake? Shouldn’t there be some sponge or something?!

No comments:

Post a Comment